Web: Personal site
Information Systems, Artificial Intelligence, Bioinformatics
His main research activities have been carried out in collaboration with two groups, one led by Prof. Luigi Palopoli, at Dipartimento di Elettronica Informatica e Sistemistica of Universita' della Calabria, and one led by Prof. Nicola Leone, at Dipartimento di Matematica of Universita' della Calabria. His research activities have been conducted also in collaboration with national and international research institutes, such as Seattle's Microsoft Research (USA), Computer Science Department of Harbin Institute (Cina), Vienna Insitute fur Informationssysteme Technische Universitat (Austria), Universita' degli Studi "Mediterranea" di Reggio Calabria, Istituto per la Sistemistica e l'Informatica del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Informazione dell'Università degli Studi di Milano, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Ingegneria dell'Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica dell'Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza", and dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare dell'Università della Calabria.
His main research interest cover:
- Information Systems,
- Artificial Intelligence
In the context of Information Systems, research activities focused on interoperability issues between heterogeneous information sources. Specifically, a methodology for handling a multi-step cooperation strategy has been designed:
- Semi-automatic extraction of interschema property existing between concepts belonging to information sources having different format and structures; the proposed approach discovers a wide variety of properties, such as synonymies, homonymies, type conflicts, hyponimies, overlapping, sub-schema similarities, etc. The approach is both semi-automatic and semantic.
- Derivation and representation of complex knowledge patterns (represented by a probabilistic variant of Description Logic), able to include concepts belonging to heterogeneous information sources.
- Exploitation of interschema properties for obtaining a global representation of involved information sources; this representation can be obtained by a suitable semi-automatic and semantic integration algorithm.
- Abstraction of the global information source
- Explitation of clustering, integration and abstraction techniques to obtain a data repository, used to represent, at different levels of abstraction, available information sources.
- Exploitation of the data repository to build a mediator for a cooperative information system, or the reconciled data of a data warehouse.
All these topics, firstly studied for databases only, have been successively extended to heterogeneous and semistructured data, including XML.
In the context of Artificial Intelligence, research activities focused on the definition of user modeling techniques, on intelligent agents and on extensions of logic programming. Specifically, research covered the following topics:
- Definition of "content-based" and "collaborative-filtering" techniques to build user profiles and exploit them to locate the most interesting sources for him during web browsing.
- Definition of multi-agent adaptive systems, based on the profiles of both the users and the devices they are working on.
- Definition of multi-agent systems based on XML for optimizing the Quality of Service in accessing heterogeneous telecomunication networks, based on the profiles of users accessing them.
- Design of techniques for handling massive amounts of data in the context of disjunctive logic programming systems
- Design of efficient techniques for consistent query answering in the context of data integration tasks in presence of incomplete and inconsistent data.
In the context of Bioinformatics, research activities covered:
- The definition of efficient techniques for motif discovery from biosequences; specifically, research focused on structured frequent patterns mining.
- Design of a cooperation framework for applications dealing with three-dimensional protein structure prediction.
The above mentioned research activities led to the publication of more then 100 papers on prestigious conferences and journals, such as: IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Theory and Practice of Logic Programming, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (Part A), and Information Systems among the journals, and SIGMOD, KR, IAT, LPNMR, RR, SAC, and CoopIS among conferences.
Teaching - Academic Year 2019/2020:
- ALGORITMI E STRUTTURE DATI (CdS in Informatica)
- BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE AND ANALYTICS (Data Warehouse) (CdS Magistrale in Computer Science)
- TECNICHE INFORMATICHE DI ANALISI DI DATI BIOLOGICI (CdS in Scienze e Tecnologie Biologiche)